1. Start with the Best. Make sure you have the right light, space and soil for each plant. Then select plants with shiny, blemish-free leaves that you can easily lift out of the container. Come visit us in the greenhouse for some great plants!
2. Royal Soil. Before planting, test the soil and add necessary amendments. Bring your soil sample to us here at Barnhart's Feed & Seed and we can send it off, and help you read the results! If your soil is lacking, your plants will be too. For an extra oomph, add some compost to the planting hole. And if direct sowing seeds, mix in a seed starting potting soil, so seeds can take root easily.
3. Feed Now… and Later. When planting, mix in a starter plant food. Plants need food as soon as they are established! There are several great slow release fertilizers as well.
4. Stay Strong Seedlings. Before moving indoor seedlings outside, toughen them up. Otherwise, they may not make it. To help seeds adjust, begin hardening them off two weeks before transplanting. How-to instructions here.
5. Don’t Forget to Water. While still in their nursery containers, water your plants. Then water deeply after planting. Water reduces plants’ stress levels and helps them adjust to their happy, new abode.
Get ready, your flowers, veggies and plants are about to be bigger and healthier than ever! You grow, gardener!
Original article found here. Credit to Espoma.